For Immediate Release
Ulbrich Solar Technologies and Heraeus Photovoltaics announce the launch of Selectively Coated Ribbon (SCR™), an advanced interconnect product. This “plug and play” ribbon can be integrated into existing stringing equipment and result in additional power gain for module manufacturers.
MULLENDORF, Austria (September 24, 2018) - Ulbrich Solar Technologies, a global leader in the production of PV ribbon products, and Heraeus Photovoltaics, a technology solution provider for the renewable energy industry, have announced a joint manufacturing and sales partnership. Under the agreement, Ulbrich will manufacture the new Heraeus line of patented advanced Selectively Coated Ribbons (SCR™) for the PV module manufacturing market. This innovative product uses coated ribbons to deliver increased power gain, while allowing module manufacturers to utilize existing equipment.
PV Ribbons play an integral part of the module manufacturing process as they are the mechanism that connect and transmit current between crystalline silicon solar cells. The Heraeus Selectively Coated Ribbon (SCR™) represents a breakthrough with its unique design; while traditional PV ribbons are typically solder coated, the Heraeus SCR™ is a tabbing ribbon designed with stripes of highly-reflective coating running across its edges and solder coating in the middle. As a result, the new design delivers significant improvements in performance, including:
- A power gain of up to 2.2 watts on module level
- No capital investment required: the Heraeus SCR™ is designed as a “plug and play” solution that easily integrates into the existing manufacturing process without additional equipment
- All relevant soldering technologies tested and compatibility with different stringers proven
- Reliability tests have been successfully completed, including TCT400 and 240 kWh/m² UV-DH
- Versatility to adapt to conventional module designs and modules made with half-cut cells
“The requirements for new products in the module manufacturing process are very demanding," said Peter Berghofer, General Manager of Ulbrich of Austria GmbH. "New products need to be cost competitive, innovative and reliable. The new SCR fulfils those expectations by increasing the power of every single module without any investment or additional effort for the module manufacturers. We expect this product to be a real game changer in module manufacturing.”
“Solutions like our Selectively Coated Ribbons are another example of why we invest so heavily into IP," added Dr. Weiming Zhang, Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer of Heraeus Photovoltaics. "This partnership with Ulbrich will help us bring this innovation to market quickly so the industry can continue to make solar the most efficient and important renewable energy source.”
Heraeus announced that Ulbrich will initially sell its Selectively Coated Ribbons in Europe, Russia, Turkey, the Middle East, Mexico and the United States. Sampling to key customers will begin in September 2018, with several hundred megawatts of module manufacturing projected by 2019.
About Ulbrich Solar Technologies
Ulbrich Solar Technologies is a world leader in PV Ribbon products that interconnect and transmit current for crystalline solar cells and thin film. For decades, Ulbrich has supplied the solar industry with tinned flat copper wire - constantly identifying emerging PV Ribbon technologies and engineering innovative solutions to increase the electrical output and performance of solar modules.
Ulbrich's application engineers develop customized products and processes that supply cost-effective solutions to module manufacturers around the globe.
Ulbrich’s PV Ribbon products include the following:
- Interconnect Wire & Solar Cell Tabbing including LCR™ (Light Capturing Ribbon) – wire that connects and transmits current between crystalline silicon solar cells
- Bus Wire for Crystalline Silicon Solar Cells – collects and transmits current from tabbing and interconnect wire to the junction box
- Bus Wire for Thin Film – transmits current from thin film modules and internal connection to the junction box
- Thin Film Substrates – metal Foils used for thin film substrates
PV Ribbon products are rolled burr-free and 100% solder coated, ensuring corrosion protection. Our state-of-the-art facilities are located in North America and Europe.